Gemstones are well-known for emitting certain energies and healing properties. Crystals have been used for thousands of years as a healing modality to aid in improving our physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Recently, crystal tools such as Yoni Eggs and Facial Rollers have made their way back into the spotlight. Below we go into detail about the origins and benefits of using a crystal facial roller.
The Jade facial roller has been in use since the 7th century, where it originated in Chinese skincare routines. Traditionally, practitioners revered Jade for it's healing abilities to warm the skin. These practitioners were on to something! Scientific research has given us insight into how this is possible. Jade is a natural transmitter of Far Infrared rays. These rays transmit low levels of heat which allows Jade to warm up the skin and boost microcirculation.
Other crystals, such as rose quartz, on the other hand, are a little less scientific. On an esoteric level, it’s said to help unclog the Heart Chakra, letting go of stress and negativity that can cause tension in the muscle, resulting in fine lines and wrinkles. It is used to influence a softer, more radiant complexion and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Rose Quartz, in particular, has been a staple in skincare routines for centuries, and are believed to have healing and anti-aging properties. The Rose Quartz is a beautiful rosy-pink stone from a variety of Quartz. The color can vary from a very rosy-pink to pale pink hue. Known as the love stone, Rose Quartz is popular for vibrations of unconditional love, self-care, and healing (and overall, very beautiful tool to have in your beauty cabinet!).
There are two different ways to use the roller. One is in a gentle downward movement. This is detoxifying and stimulates lymphatic drainage. The second is in a more vigorous and rejuvenating upward movement. This stimulates circulation and oxygenates the skin.
BENEFITS OF DETOXIFYING FACIAL ROLLING:
- Calms inflammation
- Reduces puffiness in the face, especially the under eye area
- Stimulates detoxification
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage
- Promotes product penetration
DETOXIFYING FACIAL ROLLING HOW TO:
- Start at the base of your neck. Gently roll in a downward motion from ear to the clavicle. Repeat 3x then move to the next section, working across your neck from the ear to the center line.
- Move to the center of your chin. Roll out from the center towards the hairline. At the end of your third pass toward the hairline, drain the lymph by rolling down the side of the face toward the clavicle once. Continue this pattern, rolling horizontally across the face 3x then draining once down perpendicular to your previous movement, as you work your way up the face.
- At the under the eye, use the small end of the roller. Roll 3x from the nose toward the end of the brow. On the last roll, finish by drawing down the side of the face to the clavicle. Repeat these movements just under the eyebrow.
- Lastly, gently roll from the center of the forehead toward the side of the face 3x, draining down to the clavicle on the last pass. Repeat this moving up the forehead.
- To finish, repeat your last draining movement 2-3x more.
- Repeat on other side.
You'll notice a constant need to swallow. This is very normal during lymphatic drainage and a good indicator you're doing it correctly.
Photo by @jen_desrosiers
BENEFITS OF REJUVENATING FACIAL ROLLING:
- Boosts circulation and oxygenates the skin
- Brightens the complexion
- Tightens pores
- Reduces wrinkles
- Plumps up the skin
- Promotes Product penetration
REJUVENATING FACIAL ROLLING HOW TO:
- Start at the neck. Roll from the base of neck to jawline in an upward roll. Your pressure should be medium to firm. When you get to the jaw, give a little flick. Repeat this 5-10x as needed, then move to the next section. Repeat till you've reached the center of your neck.
- Next, roll from the chin to your ear just under your jawline, chiseling definition at the jaw. Repeat 5-10x.
- Move up to the center of your chin, rolling from chin to ear at a slightly upward angle. Repeat 5-10x. Repeat these movements working up the face, finishing under the eye.
- Now, move to the forehead. Roll from your brow toward your hairline in a vertical upward movement. Repeat 5-10x. Repeat these movements working across the forehead.
- Repeat on other side.
- These stones tend to stay cool on the skin even after vigorous use. However to intensify this sensation, pop your roller in the freezer for 20 mins before using it. The cool stone will help to calm the skin during your lymphatic drainage and will feel especially lovely on puffy eyes.
- Use your gemstone roller over a sheet mask or hydrating face mask to intensify your treatment and promote deep hydration.